Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mind Over Matter

Drown out the Stress!!

The Sanskirt word Mantra means “to cross the mind”. So a word or short phrase (in plain English), repeated again and again will redirect your thoughts from the source of your stress to something positive. According to Mark Fenske, neuroscienctist “Focusing on a Mantra can reduce activity in the brain structures associated with negative emotion, which in turn affect your autonomic nervous system. As a result the heart rate will slow and lower the stress response.”



It's simple, just mind over matter!!

How do I find my Mantra??

  • Ask yourself “what is my purpose (are you trying to get in shape or stay focused at work??)
It is good for a Mantra to be result oriented
  • Address a long term goal so you can use it over time and really become in tune with it

Here are some tips to make it better:

1st Avoid the word not or other language that can be interpreted as negative by your subconscious.

Example: I am strong rather than I am not weak

2nd Assume the best of yourself!!

Example: I am healthy rather than I will try to be healthy

3rd Pick a phrase that has a nice rhythm to create a drumbeat that can be almost hypnotic.

Song lyrics can be very useful!!

Embrace your Mantra, and drown out the stress!!



No comments:

Post a Comment